Toyota must pay $11M in personal injury lawsuit
Nicolet Law Office, S.C.

Toyota must pay $11M in personal injury lawsuit

We often mention that lawsuits could be a possibility following a  car accident. These lawsuits are filed against parties whose negligence is deemed to have played a role in the accident. Sometimes lawsuits are filed against drivers of other cars involved in the incident. Other times however they are filed against automobile makers for defects found in the vehicles. A case involving a fatal crash allegedly due to a vehicle defect was recently resolved in a neighboring state. While the crash did not occur in Wisconsin, the outcome of the case could have a bearing on others throughout the nation. 

The lawsuit named the maker of one of the vehicles involved in the crash--Toyota--as a defendant. The basis of the case was that a defect with the accelerator of the car caused the crash to occur. More specifically the accelerator became stuck while at the same time the brakes did not work. Though the 1996 Camry in question was not involved in the recall of Toyota vehicles for that same reason in 2009 and 2010, a jury nonetheless determined that Toyota was 60 percent liable for the incident. The other 40 percent liability was placed upon the driver of the Camry who earlier served several years in prison for vehicular homicide.

As a result of that liability, Toyota was ordered to pay close to $11 million to the plaintiffs.

Readers should take away from this recent decision the fact that when pursuing a personal injury lawsuit following a crash, it is important to look at all potential defendants not just the driver. On some occasions other individuals, and even entities, can play a role.

Awards & Recognition

Our peers and independent third-party organizations have recognized the hard work and dedication we put into every case. This has led to numerous awards and accolades.

  1. Rated By Super Lawyers | Russel D. Nicolet
    Super Lawyers Rising Stars
    Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb | Top Attorney Personal Injury Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb | Top Attorney Bankruptcy
  2. The American Association of Legal Advocates Wisconsin Association for Justice BBB Accredited Business - A+
  3. Minnesota State Bar Association American Bar Association State Bar of Wisconsin
  4. BV Distinguished | Lexis Nexis | Martindale-Hubbell | For Ethical Standards and Legal Ability The National Trial Lawyers Million Dollar Advocates Forum

Personal Attention To You -
Personal Dedication To Your Case

Contact us today for a free consultation where you will speak directly with one of our attorneys. We are conveniently located for your accessibility, with offices in Hudson, Eau Claire, and five other cities throughout the region. If your condition prevents you from coming to one of our offices, we will happily meet with you at your home or another location that is comfortable for you.

Call Us: 800-456-6956

  • In Wisconsin, call: 715-802-0872
  • In Minnesota, call: 651-243-2872

Tell Us About Your Case We’ll review your case details and contact you with an action plan.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Wisconsin Offices

Hudson Office
511 2nd Street Suite 203
Hudson, WI 54016

Hudson Law Office Map

Rice Lake Office
337 N. Main Street
Rice Lake, WI 54868

Rice Lake Law Office Map

Eau Claire Office
402 Graham Ave, Suite 305
Eau Claire, WI 54701

Eau Claire Law Office Map

Superior Office
1200 Tower Ave.
Superior, WI 54880

Superior Law Office Map

New Richmond Office
1500 Madison Ave., Suite 220
New Richmond, WI 54017

New Richmond Law Office Map

Wausau Office
408 Third Street, Suite 303
Wausau, WI 54401

Wausau Law Office Map

Woodbury Office
724 Bielenberg Drive, Suite 126
Woodbury, MN 55125

Woodbury Law Office Map

Duluth Office
109 North 2nd Avenue West
Duluth, MN 55802

Duluth Law Office Map

Hibbing Office
Howard Court Bldg.
302 Howard St. , Ste. 123
Hibbing, MN 55746

Hibbing Law Office Map

Minnesota Offices