Questions? Search our site:
Recovered For Our Clients
Why Hire Nicolet Law?
Get Our App!
Get our convenient, secure app to
send us legal documents and pay your
bill. Available on the App Store and Google Play:
Mark N. Mathias has been an attorney for over 30 years. The focus of his experience is bankruptcy, debt restructuring, commercial and consumer finance, contract law, and banking law and regulation. Mark's approach is not only as a legal advocate, but as an educator. He explains the law so the client makes an informed decision. Each client's situation is unique. For this reason, Mark finds creative solutions to help you figure out what you can do instead of just telling what you can't.
Mark's legal career began in Detroit for Manufacturers National Bank's Legal Department and in its Loan Work-out Department (Manufacturers National Bank merged into Comerica, Inc.) Because Manufacturers National Bank had acquired several banks in Chicago, Mark was transferred to Chicago to establish and manage the Legal Department and be the Corporate Secretary. He was also involved in troubled debt restructuring and regulatory compliance. Following Comerica's divestment of its Illinois holdings, Sanwa Business Credit Corporation hired Mark for its middle market and small ticket commercial equipment leasing and financing. In turn, Sanwa Business Credit Corporation was sold to Fleet Finance where Mark continued to handle commercial equipment and leasing transactions. In 2002 Mark moved to Eau Claire so his wife could accept a faculty position with University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and they could raise their growing family in a less urban environment. Before joining Nicolet Law Office, Mark was affiliated with Christianson & Freund, LLC (Freund Law Office) and was a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee. He primarily focused on bankruptcy matters, debtor's and creditor's rights and commercial finance.
In addition to practicing law, Mark is a Senior Lecturer for the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire's College of Business (Legal and Regulatory Environmental) and for the University of Wisconsin System's online Master of Business program (Contract Law for Managers). His teaching experiences include being an adjunct instructor for Chippewa Valley Technical College's Paralegal Program (Business Law, Contract Law, and Employment Law) and Constitutional Law for UW-Eau Claire's Political Science Department.
Mark is active in the Wisconsin State Bar where he serves on the Board for the Bankruptcy Insolvency Creditor Rights Section. He also serves as a member for the Office of Lawyer Regulation's District 8 Commission. Mark is a presenter at Bankruptcy Law seminars for the Wisconsin State Bar and for private industry groups. Mark also organizes the Debtor - Creditor Rights Group for the Eau Claire County Bar's Monthly Free Legal Clinic.
He is licensed to practice in Wisconsin and Michigan; his Illinois license is currently inactive.
Mark earned a Bachelor of Arts from James Madison College at Michigan State University and a Juris Doctorate with Distinction from Thomas M. Cooley Law School (nka Western Michigan University Cooley Law School). He was a member of the Law Review.
Mark is married with three children. Due to their years in Chicago (and living walking distance to Wrigley), Mark and his wife are Cubs fans.
- Michigan, 1985
- Illinois, 1987
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- Juris Doctorate
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Law Review, Member
- James Madison College at Michigan State University
- Bachelor of Arts
- University of Wisconsin Eau Claire's College of Business (Legal and Regulatory Environmental), Senior Lecturer
- University of Wisconsin System's online Master of Business program (Contract Law for Managers), Senior Lecturer
- Chippewa Valley Technical College's Paralegal Program (Business Law, Contract Law, and Employment Law), Adjunct Instructor
- Constitutional Law for UW-Eau Claire's Political Science Department, Adjunct Instructor
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Wisconsin State Bar, Board for the Bankruptcy Insolvency Creditor Rights Section
- Office of Lawyer Regulation's District 8 Commission, Member
- Debtor Creditor Rights Group, Eau Claire County Bar's Monthly Free Legal Clinic
Past Employment Positions
- Detroit for Manufacturers National Bank's Legal Department and in its Loan Work-out Department
- Sanwa Business Credit Corporation
- Fleet Finance
- Christianson & Freund, LLC (Freund Law Office), Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee